to: all the myriad of people who come to observe me teach on a regular basis
from: over-observed teacher
re: your "observations"
thanks to all of you who come and watch me flail in my classroom on a regular basis. it's so helpful when you come and take little scribbly notes and then we get to go over them IN GREAT DETAIL for at least an hour every time, and then i get to keep them, in case i want to read them again. just fyi, i am pretty cool reading notes on my own (you know, the whole english major thing), so if you want to just point out the main things for a quick discussion, i've got about a million other things i need to get done YESTERDAY, so that works for me, too. it's not that i don't enjoy spending time with all of you- i do. you are all perfectly nice people. it's just that i have 110 13-year old bosses that i also enjoy spending time with, and they are always up in my grill, needing MORE and MORE.
speaking of 'up in my grill', i'm wondering if some of you can't just talk to each other about your observations and then get back to me with one document. between you all and my district observations, i am being observed approximately once per week. this is my second year, and while i have some pretty horrific days (see yesterday to be sure), for the most part things are cool. also, if you talked, maybe you could give me similar advice, instead of just lots of advice. because lots of different advice doesn't really help so much. oh- and regarding advice, can i mention a few things that i don't really think qualifies as "advice", but that you continue to say every week anyway?
1) "you have a really tough situation here"
2) "can you change his/ her seat?"
3) "maybe if you tried x...(x being something i've tried 1,000 times already)"
4) "you cannot excite them in any way"
5) "do not engage with them on any level, including about class material"
6) "you would do much better in a school where students intrinsically want to learn"
7) "are you sure you want to stay here next year?"
8) "go observe x (some 22-year old tfa punk)"
9) "i talked to your principal about the situation..."
10) "you need to do everything FOR them, they cannot work on their own"